NEW PALTZ — A tiebreaker at third doubles was the difference between winning and losing the overall match for the SUNY New Paltz men’s tennis team on Sunday afternoon at the university Air Structure.
Unfortunately for the (1-3) Hawks, the freshman tandem of Bradley Breakstone and Bobby Calise couldn’t quite outlast Billy Choe and Ariel Kemelman, who emerged 9-8 after a tiebreaker, to lift Stevens Tech to a 5-4 victory.
Junior captain Ed Paulinski had a hand in two of New Paltz’s four wins on the day. He overmatched Rich Severt, 6-2, 6-1, at first singles, and teamed with Hawk doubles specialist Andrew Lehr to defeat Severt and David Asis, 8-4, at first doubles.
Breakstone (fourth singles) and Calise (fifth singles) recorded New Paltz’s other two wins in straight sets.
The Hawks return to action on Wednesday with a 4 pm. match at Vassar College.
COLLEGIATE MEN’S TENNIS
Stevens Tech 5, New Paltz 4
1. Ed Paulinski (NP) def. Rich Severt (ST), 6-2, 6-1.
2. David Asis (ST) def. Brian Palmenteri (NP), 6-4, 6-3.
3. Tim Pasquin (ST) def. Jasson Rosario (NP), 6-0, 6-1.
4. Bradley Breakstone (NP) def. David McShea (ST), 6-3, 6-2.
5. Bobby Calise (NP) def. Vivek Menezes (ST), 6-4, 6-3.
6. Ariel Kemelman (ST) def. David Bridglall (NP), 6-2, 6-3.
1. Andrew Lehr/Ed Paulinski (NP) def. David Asis/Rich Severt (ST), 8-4.
2. David McShea/Tim Pasquin (ST) def. Brian Palmenteri/Jasson Rosario (NP), 8-3.
3. Billy Choe/Ariel Kemelman (ST) def. Bradley Breakstone/Bobby Calise (NP), 9-8.
Team Records: Stevens Tech 4-0, New Paltz 1-3.