SUNY New Paltz faculty can now apply for support from the National Endowment of the Humanities (NEH) Summer Stipends program for projects beginning in May 2024.
New Paltz can nominate two full-time, tenured or tenure-track faculty members for the NEH Summer Stipends competition each year. Non-tenure-track faculty, non-teaching professional staff, and emeritus faculty may apply without a nomination.
Applications must be submitted to your dean for review no later than Aug. 18, 2023, to be considered for this award. Additional info about the application process can be found below.
The NEH Summer Stipends program offers $6,000 to support two consecutive months of full-time research and writing related to a humanities project. The program aims to stimulate new research and publishing in the humanities by supporting the work of individual scholars doing research or writing.
The application guidelines are available on the NEH Summer Stipends homepage. Those interested in applying are strongly encouraged to contact the NEH Division of Research Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-606-8200 (TTY 800-877-8399).
Members of our community can also contact Roseann Merrill from the Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Compliance at email@example.com.
The SUNY New Paltz procedure for nomination will be as follows:
1) Review application guidelines at this link.
2) Submit all application materials to your dean by Aug. 18, 2023.
3) Dean will submit recommendations for nominations to the Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Compliance (SPRC) by Aug. 25, 2023. SPRC then passes these to the Provost for review.
4) The Provost may consult with the Committee on Research, Awards and Leaves (CRAL) if more than two recommendations are submitted.
5) CRAL (if needed) submits recommendations by Sept. 1, 2023 to the Provost.
6) The Provost submits the final list of nominees to SPRC by Sept. 8, 2023.
7) SPRC will inform nominees of selection by Sept. 12, 2023.
8) Nominees submit applications to NEH via grants.gov on or before Sept. 20, 2023.
This schedule must be strictly followed by all involved parties due to the short time between the beginning of the semester and the program deadline. Please refer to the timetable below for a visual aid in planning your application.
|Work on Application||Submit to Dean||Dean Submits to Sponsored Programs||CRAL recommends nominations to Provost||Provost submits list of nominees to SPRC||Sponsored Programs informs nominees of selection||Nominees must electronically submit applications to NEH via Grants.gov|
|Aug. 18, 2023||Aug. 25, 2023||Sept. 1, 2023||Sept. 8, 2023||Sept. 12, 2023||September 20, 2023|
Additionally, on May 17 at 2 p.m., NEH staff will host a webinar for administrators and prospective applicants, introducing the program, describing the application and nomination process, and offering application-writing suggestions.
There will be a chance to ask questions, and the webinar will be recorded for those unable to attend. Click on this link to register.