The State University of New York Chancellor’s Awards for Student Excellence are presented each spring to SUNY students who have distinguished themselves in academics, athletics, leadership, service and through other contributions to living and learning communities across the SUNY system.
This year, 256 students from 64 SUNY colleges and universities will receive Chancellor’s Awards at an April 5 ceremony in Albany, N.Y.
Please join us in congratulating the five of those students who represent SUNY New Paltz:
- Nicole Gottschalk ’17 (Communication Disorders), MVP of lacrosse team and recognized student-athlete, extensive work with children and adults with special needs, Emerging Leaders program and leader in Athletic Leadership Academy.
- Tina Lloyd ’17 (Marketing), extensive internship experience, competed in national marketing competition, Senior Resident Assistant, president of her residence hall council, Student Ambassador in Admissions Office.
- Kyle Marra ’17 (History), Honors Program, teaching assistant in Theatre Arts, Senior Orientation Leader, Resident Assistant, Admissions Welcome Center greeter, extensive leadership roles.
- Gina Rondon ’17 (Communication Disorders), multiple internships, Dean’s list every semester here, extensive volunteerism and service record.
- Jessica Weeks ’17 (Biology), Honors Program, mathematics and biology tutor for K-12 and college students, extensive service programs, Resident Assistant.
“Every year, more than 600,000 students pursue their dreams of higher education at SUNY, whether on campus or online, or both,” said SUNY Chancellor Zimpher. “The students selected for the Chancellor’s Award have demonstrated that not only are they excellent students, but they go above and beyond—developing their talents and skills to contribute the best of themselves to their campuses and communities. These students have proven to be exceptional leaders, founders, helpers and athletes. And their achievements reflect not only their hard work and dedication, but the support of their families and friends and SUNY’s world-class faculty and staff. We could not be more proud of them all.”
About the Chancellor’s Awards for Student Excellence
The Chancellor’s Awards for Student Excellence was created in 1997 to recognize students who have best demonstrated, and have been recognized for, the integration of academic excellence with accomplishments in the areas of leadership, athletics, community service, creative and performing arts, campus involvement, or career achievement.
Each year, SUNY campus presidents establish selection committees to review the accomplishments of exemplary students. Nominees are then forwarded to the Chancellor’s Office for a second round of review. Finalists are then recommended to the Chancellor to become recipients of the award. Each recipient receives a framed certificate and medallion, which is traditionally worn at commencement.
More information about the Chancellor’s Awards for Student Excellence is available online.