Funding from the Sustainability Seed Fund is available to support students, faculty, and staff in advancing sustainability at SUNY New Paltz. In spring of 2015, the President and Cabinet allocated $50,000 of one-time funding to support campus sustainability initiatives.
Sustainability Seed Fund Goals:
- Foster a thriving, resilient, sustainable campus & community through cooperation, partnerships, awareness and education.
- Support sustainability leadership across campus.
- Infuse sustainability into your day-to-day work and identity as a student, faculty or staff member.
- Incorporate a sustainability consciousness into other priorities and trends across campus.
- Plant the seeds for SUNY New Paltz to be nationally recognized as a sustainable higher education institution.
- Achieve STARS Gold in 2021. (In Spring 2018, SUNY New Paltz earned STARS Silver).
Who can apply?
- Student Organizations
Eligible Funding Requests:
- Paid on-campus student internships and research projects, with close supervision from a faculty member. The intention for this work is for the outcome of this research to have a lasting impact on campus, such strengthening faculty sustainability-related teaching or research or that knowledge gained from findings will inform actual sustainability thinking or planning on campus.
- Professional development (off-campus, on-campus, or online)
- Materials and supplies for sustainability research, projects, and programs, in and outside of the classroom
- Conference fees as a presenter or attendee
- Guest speakers for a targeted audience for a narrow educational or co-curricular purpose.
If you seeking funding that does not fall under the categories above, please discuss with Lisa Mitten. Asking your supervisor, dean, or the Provost for matching funds is strongly encouraged.
Ineligible Funding Requests
Ineligible funding requests include but are not limited to:
- Guest speakers for general sustainability programs
- Faculty stipends
- Travel expenses including mileage, rental cars, hotels, and meals
- Investments in permanent off-campus infrastructure
Consider asking your supervisor, dean, or the Provost for matching funds if you are seeking funding for expenses that are ineligible for Sustainability Seed Funding.
Application Materials & How to Apply
Funding requests will be considered on a rolling basis. Feel free to run concepts by Lisa Mitten via email or phone to help focus your request prior to filling out the application and budget form.