Navigating your first-year of college can be difficult, but with these 10 tips it can make your transition easier!
1) Learn how to balance your study and play time!
2) Make sure you get to know your professors and advisors via office hours or email!
3) Join one or more of our 200 clubs and organizations or create your own!
4) Start looking into student leadership opportunities such as Emerging Leaders and the First-Year Internship Program!
5) Being broke is no joke, budget your money wisely!
6) Take advantage of on-campus resources including the Tutoring Center and Career Resource Center!
7) Stay healthy mentally, physically and spiritually!
8) Explore your surroundings! Click here for suggestions!
9) Engage in campus-wide events!
10) Most of all HAVE FUN!!
The Hudson Valley is located 90 minutes away from NYC. A hidden gem; with a variety of activities for you to explore during your 4 years at SUNY New Paltz.
1. Enjoy beautiful sunsets and sunrises at Walkway Over the Hudson!
2. Didn’t bring everything you need? Don’t fret! We have two great malls nearby in Poughkeepsie and in Kingston!
3. Upgrade from the typical snowball fights and get ready for skiing, snowboarding, and snow tubing at Hunter Mountain.
4. Feeling adventurous? High Falls is notorious for cliff jumping. Don’t be afraid to satisfy your adventurous side!
5. If you’re looking for an adrenaline boost, try Skydiving in Gardiner!
6. Do you like eating pickles? Can’t get enough of them? Well you’re in luck! The Pickle Fest in Rosendale is a pickle paradise!
7. When art and nature combine you get the Storm King Arts Center in Cornwall, a vast selection of sculptures in the Hudson Valley.
8. Still need more options for shopping? Check out Woodbury Commons for more deals!
9. Is Halloween your favorite holiday? Then check out the Headless Horseman in Ulster Park for some spooky fun!
10. After exploring the Hudson Valley, two of New York’s greatest cities are only an hour and 30 minutes away!
Hawkfeed List: New Paltz Town Edition
New Paltz is a small town with a variety of activities for you to do throughout your four years at SUNY New Paltz! Here are some 10 activities to take advantage of:
1) It’s a lovely sunny day to explore Water Street Market; with lots of restaurants and stores you’ll want to splurge on a thing or two!
2) An apple a day keeps the doctor away and you’re in luck with the local apples farms! Make sure to grab an apple cider donut and fresh apple cider, too!
3) The beautiful Mohonk Mountain House is a short drive away from campus; enjoy the scenery on your way and hike the Lemon Squeeze while you’re there!
4) Take a dive into the lake at Minnewaska State Park!
5) Feeling indulgent? Take a stroll onto Main Street and stop at the various cultural restaurants!
6) After eating a great meal on Main Street, make sure to swing by the boutiques and vintage stores… Maybe you’ll find a great treasure or two!
7) Feeling broke?! The New Paltz Cinemas offers $5 movie tickets on Tuesdays!
8) Go back in time to experience the historic stone houses through the tours on Historic Huguenot Street!
9) Too lazy to go to the gym? Walk, bike, or run on the various rail trails in town!
10) After a long and exciting day of exploring New Paltz, finish your day with a sunset and stargazing!