SUNY New Paltz is publishing important messages and news updates related to the College’s response to COVID-19 on the campus news website. Use this link to view all these posts in one place.
The update below was shared with students on March 25.
We want you to know that we are working diligently to resolve the financial impact the transition to remote learning will have on unused campus housing, meals and fees for the remainder of the spring semester while also taking into consideration financial aid awards.
Students living on campus prior to the COVID-19 crisis will receive a refund or credit for housing fees and unused meal plan fees (if applicable) based on the proportionate time between when they leave campus housing — or as cleared by Residence Life — and the end of the spring term.
Students living off campus with meal plans will receive a refund or credit for the unused portion of their meal plans.
All students will receive prorated refunds or credits for certain other fees for services that have been discontinued due to the COVID-19 emergency. The calculation of the amount of the refund or credit is being determined for each of these fees. Other fees eligible for partial refund are:
- Athletics fee
- Student activity fee (Student Association reserves the right to determine refund)
- Other fees as appropriate (for example, parking registration fee and unused course fees)
To be eligible for a credit/refund you must have:
- Paid your bill in full (students with partially paid bills will have their room, board or other charges reduced in-line with the timing calculation).
- For resident hall students, completed checkout by Sunday, March 29, at 10 p.m.
- For residence hall students, removed your belongings from your residence hall or apartment and returned keys by Sunday, March 29, at 10 p.m. It is imperative that we have empty rooms so that we have the flexibility to make social distancing possible for our remaining residential students. We have also been asked to provide data about our residence hall capacity for possible use for health care workers and non-COVID-19 hospital patients. In order to achieve these goals we ask that you remove your belongings from your room as soon as possible.
In extreme circumstances, including those under quarantine, we will bag and store your belongings as carefully as possible, however the College is not responsible for lost or broken items. Contact Residence Life if you are checking out but are unable to remove your belongings.
As soon as additional information is available, we will update you. Credits or refunds will be finalized as soon as possible with the goal of processing them before the end of the spring semester. We recognize that this is a difficult time, if you have a critical financial needs please contact Student Financial Services at email@example.com.
Please continue to monitor your SUNY New Paltz email and the College’s COVID-19 web page here.
Vice President for Administration and Finance
L. David Eaton,
Vice President for Enrollment Management