State University of New York Chancellor Kristina M. Johnson presented 249 SUNY students from across the state with the 2018 Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence, at an April 10 ceremony in Albany, N.Y.
The awards are presented each spring to SUNY students who have distinguished themselves in academics, athletics, leadership, service and through other contributions to living and learning communities across the SUNY system.
Please join us in congratulating the five New Paltz students whose distinctive work in and out of the classroom merited selection for this SUNY-wide recognition:
- Reem Ahmed ’17 (Accounting) – Class of 2018 Valedictorian, Honors Program, Peer Mentoring Program, co-founded School of Business Peer Mentoring Program, President of Vivre Haiti, which provides aid for children of Haiti, study abroad in Switzerland, speaker at New Student Convocation and “Forty Under 40” alumni event.
- Julia Friedman ’18 (Communication Disorders) – Class of 2018 Salutatorian, four-year member of women’s soccer team, worked with aphasia clients at Speech-Language Hearing Center, One Love Workshop facilitator, leadership roles in Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, study abroad in Italy.
- Trisha Chabria ’18 (Biology; Psychology) – enrolled in 7-year BS/DO program, member of Absolut A Cappella and South Asian Cultural Association, led medical missions to Honduras and Nicaragua as President of Global Medical Brigades, research participation in psychology, biology, Benjamin Center for Public Policy Initiatives, conference presentations.
- Julian Chipkin ’18 (Mechanical Engineering; Physics) – resident assistant, presented research at conferences, study group leader for AMP/CSTEP program, teaching assistant and peer tutor, co-founded chapter of American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Katrina Scarimbolo ’18 (Psychology) – Honors Program, Peer Academic Success Coach and Peer Advisor/Mentor, conference presentations, publication in undergraduate research journal, and published poetry, Emerging Leaders Program graduate.
“I am immensely proud of these students, who have demonstrated academic excellence and dedication to enriching their campuses and communities,” said Chancellor Johnson. “From research publications in industry journals to volunteering in hospitals and local clinics to holding leadership roles at their institutions, I am inspired by each student we recognize today. Congratulations to all of the students receiving this year’s award.”
About the Chancellor’s Awards for Student Excellence
The Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence was created in 1997 to recognize students who have best demonstrated, and have been recognized for, the integration of academic excellence with accomplishments in the areas of leadership, athletics, community service, creative and performing arts, campus involvement, or career achievement.
Each year, SUNY campus presidents establish selection committees to review the accomplishments of exemplary students. Nominees are then forwarded to the Chancellor’s Office for a second round of review. Finalists are then recommended to the Chancellor to become recipients of the award. Each recipient receives a framed certificate and medallion, which is traditionally worn at commencement.
More information about the Chancellor’s Awards for Student Excellence, including a complete listing of recipients, is available online.