Unanticipated expertise

Hi all,

My last few weeks have been a little bit busy with starting the internship and trying to adapt to the New York City life.  That’s why I’ve been AWOL for so long. The City life has been amazing so far, very different from living in New Paltz.

I got offered an internship with The Jewish Museum in the communications department. Now if you are working in a museum, you would think that you would acquire a lot of art knowledge in the process, wouldn’t you? Well, I have actually. Not only did I learn a lot about artists, art movements and exhibitions, but also I learned how to make press releases, social media content, Google Analytics and AdWords, and so much more.  I am so thankful to all my supervisors here who have had the patience to take the time and teach me how the communications field works in a museum’s market.

I also acquired a specific knowledge that I never would have expected and I think it is worth mentioning. The Jewish Museum has recently opened for the public a new exhibition called Chaim Soutine: Flesh. The name describes this exhibition perfectly as it features 32 of Soutine’s remarkable paintings depicting hanging fowl, beef carcasses, and rayfish.  Down below I’m posting some paintings that are now on view on this exhibition.

Chaim Soutine, Still Life with Rayfish, c. 1924, oil on canvas.

Chaim Soutine, Chicken Hung Before a Brick Wall, 1925, oil on canvas.

Chaim Soutine, Carcass of Beef, c. 1925, oil on canvas.

Therefore, after working with the museum team on this exhibition, I can officially say that I’m now an expert on noticing the difference between a dead chicken, fowl, turkey or rayfish. Also, I have mastered the art of specifying the different cuts of meat when they are presented right in front of me,  and that my friends is saying a lot as an Argentinian woman who is very used to eating meat back home.  I may have had a great meat craving once this exhibition started…

It was a pleasure to be given the opportunity to write in this blog about my experiences  during this incredible IIB Program. Unfortunately, our time is almost over but it makes me look back and reflect on everything that we have lived so far and realize how blessed we are.  As the genius Dr. Seuss once said: “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” I’m now going to leave the opportunity for the next generation of IIB students to be able to write about this remarkable experience that awaits them.

Martina

Next ArticleWorking day in New York