May 2022

Liberal Arts in Action: Cloey Callahan ‘20 (Communication)

The “Liberal Arts in Action” series allows alumni to speak, in their own words, about the value of a liberal arts education. Cloey Callahan ‘20 (Communication) is a Digital News Editor for the Times Union: Hudson Valley.  

In my current position I am a news reporter covering the Hudson Valley, including Dutchess, Orange, Ulster, Putnam, Greene and Columbia counties. From week to week, I write several articles, prepare a daily newsletter, write social media copy, follow analytics for data driven reporting and more. New Paltz helped prepare me for this work in several different ways. The first is requiring an internship for journalism. It kickstarted my experience in a newsroom and taught me what it means to work with other journalists while getting real world experience. Additionally, New Paltz offered extracurriculars that helped prepare me. This included The Oracle and The Teller. Contributing to both of these media clubs helped me grow further connections and learn leadership skills I otherwise would not have.

My liberal arts education has benefited me in my life and career because it helped me learn how to communicate with others in all different ways. It showed me how to connect with the human experience, especially with a degree in communications, while also learning how to ask the right questions, which helps me succeed in my journalism career. I’ve gained a multidisciplinary perspective through my degree that I apply every day. My liberal arts education helped me read, write and think in a more nuanced way.

Val Tremblay, Director of the Campus Media Center, inspired me the most. She wholeheartedly believed in me and supported me as I wanted to expand my media career, especially with starting a new club on campus (The Teller). She always made me feel like what I wanted to do was within reach and she gave me resources, support, and her time to help make it happen.

To read more alumni profiles, visit the Liberal Arts in Action website