Hearing loss is a very common problem that can significantly affect an individual’s ability to communicate. The Speech Language and Hearing Center (SLHC) here on campus provides full audiological evaluations at no cost for students, faculty and staff. The evaluation takes approximately one hour and will be performed by a nationally and state certified audiologist. If you are interested, please call 257-3600 to make an appointment.
Statistics on Hearing Loss:
- About 20 percent of adults in the United States, 48 million, report some degree of hearing loss.
- 60 percent of the people with hearing loss are either in the work force or in educational settings.
- At age 65, one out of three people has a hearing loss.
- About 2-3 of every 1,000 children are hard of hearing or deaf
- Estimated that 30 school children per 1,000 have a hearing loss.
Source: John Hopkins Medicine